There’s no shame in sharing. We highly recommend it!
When it comes to sharing valuable resources like time, money, and target audiences, multi-channel networks (MCNs) work in favor of content creators and communities. When creators and communities work together, content creators can gain exposure to thousands of new audience members, and communities can continue to offer their audiences fresh content regularly. To aggregate content in such a way is a total win-win!
Are you interested in hearing more about the mutually beneficial relationship that is aggregating content? You’re in for a treat. Keep reading for the answers to your burning questions about how to aggregate content and how Endavo is the perfect aggregator tool for creators and communities.
What does it mean to aggregate content?
Aggregating content is the act of collecting and sharing content based on a common topic from various creators. Typically, machines aggregate content based on criteria or search terms with little human involvement.
Aggregate content can be a series of other creators’ work or a combination of original work and others’ work.
What is the benefit of aggregating content?
Because aggregate content is collected from various sources, companies aggregate content to supplement their original content. Aggregating content helps companies provide value and resources for customers without the burden of creating the content themselves.
Aggregating content benefits content creators because it increases content exposure to target audiences. If cited and appropriately shared, aggregate content helps creators grow their platforms and expand to larger audiences.
Pros and Cons of Aggregating Content
Pros of Aggregating Content
- Fresh content is consistently uploaded and available.
- The automated process means less time and fewer resources to create new content.
- Content offering is more advanced even without in-house subject matter experts.
Cons of Aggregating Content
- Quality and standard vary across creators.
- The automated process may leave room for computer error, security issues, or spam problems.
- Content usage rights are often unclear, and creators may want to protect where their content and disprove others sharing it.
Is it legal to aggregate content?
It is legal to aggregate content with appropriate attribution, references, and credit. If you’re wondering how to cite a source properly, it’s best to include credit with the creator’s name and link to the original piece of content, making it clear you do not own the content.
Although it’s legal to aggregate content in the Public Domain, some creators don’t want anyone to share their content, even if credit is given. Creators can request content be taken down by contacting the content aggregator or hiring a lawyer to intervene if the request is ignored.
What are examples of a content aggregator tool?
You’ve likely used a content aggregator tool without thinking twice about it! If you’ve used an OTT media platform, social media platform, search engine, or large news site, you’ve also used an aggregator tool!
Netflix offers film and TV series originals alongside aggregated content offerings.
- Original Series: Orange Is the New Black
- Aggregate Content: 60 Days In (Originally aired on A&E)
Google searches the entire WorldWideWeb to display aggregate content based on your keyword search terms.
Instagram hashtag search showcases aggregate content from users who have included specific hashtags in captions of their published content.
THEA, an Endavo original community, supports creators by aggregating content from Atlanta-based filmmakers, comedians, documentarians, and other local brands.
How to Aggregate Content in Five Steps
To help you understand how aggregating content will increase reach, you should understand how to aggregate content. For creators, understanding how to aggregate content will allow you to analyze your content and build a content strategy suited for content aggregator tools.
Step 1: Identify Aggregate Content Criteria
Human input is needed to define search criteria, typically keywords, while machines aggregate content and populate the content automatically. Identifying search criteria ensures the aggregate content selected supports the overall topic.
- Creators should carefully consider keywords in content titles and descriptions to improve discoverability.
Step 2: Filter Aggregate Content
Once aggregate content is identified, content selection is reviewed, and low-quality, unrelated, or untrustworthy content should be eliminated. Poor-quality content, whether it be an uncomfortable viewing experience or sharing inaccurate information, affects the reputation of the network sharing it.
- Creators should ensure that their content is high quality and reliable.
Step 3: Display Content
Aggregate content is often listed alongside original content or grouped by category.
Step 4: Arrange Content
Sites will aggregate content into a compelling order to encourage views. The results page may be arranged by topic, though results are commonly sorted by publication date.
- Creators should publish high-quality content regularly to ensure their content is displayed frequently and near the top of sequential results pages.
Step 5: Share Content
When a site publishes aggregated content, it may include original text to support the content or designation that the aggregate content is from a third party. It likely includes a link to the original source.
- Creators should ensure their information (such as name, business name, content URL, and contact information) is easy to find and easy to share.
How to Aggregate Content with Endavo
Endavo allows creators and businesses to be discovered and to join other networks and channels. We allow channels to aggregate content, enabling creators to become a source of content aggregation.
For Content Creators
Endavo gives content creators instant views and exposure by aggregating content to other communities. We help you upload your unique content and build your channel, which then has the opportunity to get picked up by one of our many community channels. Endavo allows content creators to submit content through the following avenues.
- Submission Portal Pages: Creators and channel partners can upload their video submissions directly to community portals.
- Network Application Pages: Creators can apply to become a part of Endavo multi-channel networks.
- Endavo Watch
The Endavo Watch channel is a content aggregator tool that rewards Endavo creators by curating a content discovery platform for viewers, other creators, and filmmakers in the industry. Think of our Watch Page as Instagram’s Explore page–it’s where people go to find new creators, and it provides free exposure.
We teach Endavo communities how to aggregate content on their channels. Endavo gives community accounts (like THEA) an opportunity to easily aggregate content, bringing various creators’ content together on one channel.
We help gather content and manage channels to create one hub for original content and shared content from the community’s creators’ feeds. Endavo allows communities to aggregate content through the following features.
- Direct Upload: Endavo users can upload video directly from their websites, allowing communities to moderate, curate, and organize content into channels on the network.
- MRSS Feeds: External channel videos are imported using MRSS feeds, which create an automatic upload stream with little to no management needed once imported.
- Endavo Export: We’ve built an internal playlist and channel sharing property that creates a continuous feed for syndication on partner networks.
Endavo’s suite of aggregator tools makes sharing content for creators and communities easier without the risk of losing the integrity of essential video qualities like metadata, publishing rules, or the content itself.
Aggregating content is a mutually beneficial process that helps networks and creators supplement their content, improve discoverability, and increase reach.
Whether you’re a creator or a community looking for a way to impact your target audience in a more significant way, Endavo’s suite of OTT channel tools will help you scale your video business. Sign up for a 30-day, risk-free trial to see what Endavo’s innovative content distribution software can do for you!